The Care and Keeping of Cats
January 28, 2020
If you’re looking to add a furry friend to your family, and are leaning towards a feline, it is helpful to do some research beforehand! Below are a few helpful tips to keep your furry friend happy and healthy:
- Vaccinate your cat. The three core vaccines for kittens and cats are for the prevention of:
- Feline Herpesvirus 1 – this illness can affect the cat’s upper respiratory system and eyes.
- Feline Calicivirus – this can cause eye and nasal discharge, as well as ulcers on the tongue and intestinal tract.
- Feline Panleukopenia – this is the feline version of distemper, which can affect the digestive and nervous systems.
- Routine vet visits. Annual visits can help prevent and illnesses, check his/her weight, and clean his/her teeth. Just like humans, cats need to get those pearly whites cleaned regularly!
- Scratching post. Training your cat to use a post can help prevent damage to your furniture as well as help keep your cat’s muscles and claws in top condition.
- Litter boxes. Be sure to have enough litter boxes in the home. The general rule of thumb is to have one box for each cat, plus one more. So, if you have three cats, you should have four litter boxes. Cleaning the litter box regularly will help you to notice any changes in your cat’s waste, which could indicate a health issue.
- H2O. As with any pet, water is crucial for your cat’s health, so be sure to keep plenty of fresh, clean water out for drinking.